Go Back   Special Forces Association Forums > Public > Special Forces Locator

8th SFG Fort Gulick `67 `68
Old 12-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #91
SgtBobWirt

Default 8th SFG Fort Gulick `67 `68

Served with B co of the 8th Group 1967/1968 as a Medic; Dental OJT with Major Hirsch; Scuba School with CSM Mulcahy; qualified JOC 1967; three missions to Nicaraguan Mosquito Coast. Check out my web page for more 8th Group late `60s at http://www.BobWirt.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JOC.jpg (5.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg SFScubaPanama.jpg (14.5 KB, 29 views)

8th SFGA, Panama
Old 12-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #92
George Z. Garcia
Non-Member

Default 8th SFGA, Panama

I was assigned to the 8th SFG in 1970, hung around for 3 tours which included 3/7th SFG. Lived in Ft Gulick and Coco Solo housing.

8th SFG
Old 12-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #93
George Z. Garcia
Non-Member

Default 8th SFG

I was assigned to 8th SFG Oct 1970; and Dec, 1976

8th SFG 1968 and 1969
Old 12-31-2010, 07:52 PM   #94
Don Bradbury
Non-Member

Default 8th SFG 1968 and 1969

Del,
I was with the 8th SFG from 1968 to 1969. I believe I was your swim buddy in the scuba class June 1968. During my time in Panama I was assigned to A Company and then reassigned to the scuba committee. I got of the service in 1969 and returned to Calif. I have been a firefighter for 31 years and retired 5 years ago.
Don Bradbury

Richard Webber
Old 05-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #95
bushman
Non-Member

Default Richard Webber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORI View Post
My Brother, Richard Webber Was Stationed There In The Late 60's. He Was A Medic. I Remember He Would Tell Me Stories Of Going Into The Jungle And Helping The Natives. I Believe Dr. Charles Killingsworth Was Also Stationed There W/him At The Time. They Became Very Close Friends. Sorry To Say My Brother Died In 1999 And Charles Has Not Been Heard From Since Then.
Sir, I knew your brother. I was an SF medic with the 8th 70-71. He was a good man with a wonderful sense of humor. Very humble. My name is Gallaher, as in Fred. I do think about him from time to time. I'd heard some time back of his passing. I'm very sorry for your loss. I too lost a friend with his passing. My best to you and your family. Give them my regards please.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #96
bushman
Non-Member

Sir, was with the 8th as a medic 70-71. Always looking for new friends. Name is Gallaher, Fred, one each.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #97
Mikey
Non-Member

dmbigbee: I served with the 8th, then the 7th from 71 - 72 after leaving the 6th at Bragg. I recall signing into Group with Major Mitchell as S!, LTC Korcheck (the potatoe man) as S3, I forget exactly whothe 4 was but a really nice gentleman. Later we had BJ Pinkerton as the Group Commander. I remember Maj. Leroy Mitchell fondly - he assigned me to the 550th MPs because they had the only sniper rifles in the Group. I served and partied with both George Wolski and Fred Martinez at the 550th as I was assigned by Maj. Ron Lucas, Detachment Commander, to head the sniper detachment. I was later transferred to B Company as a A Team Leader and served under Major Patton (bald headed, not the other guy) and Company Commander Col Thomas Owens (great guy). I later transferred out to Korea and took over a Company in the 23rd Infantry. The 550th was right next to whatever the intelligence unit was - 66 something or another. Knew one of the Capts there who got transferred to the other side - his wife used to like wearing fashion statement hats - I think she was a social worker in civilian life but liked the mystique of being a intelligence officers wife in a foreign land....

Last I heard, Major Mitchell was in Florida, somewhere, and I would love to hear from him. I always thought he was a great guy and we spent some time in the jungle together. I spoke with Fred Martinez, sometime back in the 80s I think and think we was in Texas. I would love to hear from he or George Wolski, they were both great guys. I have also seen and spoken to Brooks Holton, who is now in NC somewhere. He went into law enforcement after the service, then built houses and finally retired.

I would also love to see if I could locate either Major Ronald Lucas or his wife, Patricia, as they were wonderful friends and I lost touch with most everyone after getting shipped out.

1Lt. Michael Bejian

8th SFG
Old 06-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #98
charli6182

Default 8th SFG

I was assigned to the 610th Mi Det, 8th SFG/3rd BN 7th SFG from May 1970 to May 1974 MSG Chuck Wright(RET) SFA CH 21

8th group at Fort Sherman
Old 06-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #99
spec4
Non-Member

Default 8th group at Fort Sherman

I was with the 8th Group, assigned to Fort Sherman detachment B-4, 1970-71, as a 12B4S.
Helped with the Jungle Warfare training, lot's of guard duty and several month long "LRRP" assignments.
I have many great ( and few not so great) memories of those days and friends.
When permitted I'll post some photo's of Fort Sherman and some of my " brothers in arms".

Hello to Mr. Gallaher, I remember you Fred !

regards,
Ochoa

Old 07-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #100
zdect
Non-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepndel View Post
Anyone here from the old 8th Special Forces, Panama (Ft. Gulick), late 1960's?
I lost track of everyone but one bud. Just checking.
thanks, Del

Del Albright
A Team LT, Ft. Gulick
Hi I was with the 8th from early 69 tom Apr 71.
Del, are you a redhead and color blind? I think I remember you.
Initially I was with A Co, A11 then S3 of B1, and finally as TngOff at Group
Mickey Riggs had CoA, then Korchek. I just found out the Rock (aka Potato, aka Silver Throat) passed away in 2010 at 81. Tough dude. Riggs is 78 and lives in KY (?)
Felder was the Grp Cdr and then George Dexter came in.
MAJ Rice was the Grp S3, I ran into him much later when he was CGSC Secretary (ala Chief of Staff).
Rice hired me as Tng Off and left, Bill Huskey came in from the 46th and I worked for him Good guy.
CSM Childress was around, SGM Cliette was Opn SGM, another great guy. LTC T Owens was the XO. I met him later when he was at Devens.

Somebody mentioned CPT Hampton (BCo). He was my close friend. We lost contact, another one was CPT Stewart who spoke Spanish with a Tennessee accent.
Anybody remember the names of Jump and SCUBA Tm Ldrs 69-71? It would help my memories. How about Joe Procik?

Been retired for 6 yrs now but always thin about SF.
De Presso Liber // Z the Polak