Go Back   Special Forces Association Forums > Public > Special Forces Locator

Old 03-26-2017, 04:48 AM   #181
Gissell

Stephen Bruno <spebruno@bellsouth.net>
To
Clifford Gissell
Mar 25 at 4:27 PM
*Hey John, I was as close to Dehner as anyone during his entire army career. That said, I have no idea how to contact anyone who could direct me to his family. If you could direct me to this forum, or find out who this gamer 747 is, I'd be happy to tell his family all about Jim's military career. He was a regular at the Zomba with me and Jose'.

Thanks,
Steve
Blog: http://cliffordgissell.blogspot.com/

Hello from Montana
Old 07-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #182
Jim Hutcheson
Non-Member

Thumbs up Hello from Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul W Adair View Post
I was in 8th Group-3/7th from 70-75. I worked at Ft Sherman with JOTC for about 5 months in 70-71. Then went to the NCO Academy at Sherman. Did a couple of training exercises in Panama with the Guardia. Went to Dominican Republic training the M-79 and then the counter insurgency battalion. Work at the jump school at Sherman then went to Honduras for the their first jump school training.
Went back to Ft Gulick in 81-84 as SGM of School of the Americans.
Hello Paul,
Served with you in Panama and was on the 1972 MTT in the Dom. Republic to train the "Cazadores". I remember that 6 months very well. Others who served there with us were Maj. Moore, Cpt. Smith, Sgts: Hernandez, Borex, Lopez, Patton, Sedgewick, Olvera and Garcia. I got out in Dec. 73 and lost touch with all of the above. Now reside in MT. and joined the area SFG "retirees". Did fairly recently find Maj. Mitchell in Florida and then Lt. Dan Chitty in GA. Best to you & hope you are keeping well!

MTT- Dom Republic 72
Old 07-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #183
Jim Hutcheson
Non-Member

Default MTT- Dom Republic 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z. Garcia View Post
I was assigned to the 8th SFG in 1970, hung around for 3 tours which included 3/7th SFG. Lived in Ft Gulick and Coco Solo housing.
If this is the same SGT Garcia who went on the MTT to the Dom Republic in 72 let me know. I have some pictures of you on the mission and at Puerto Plata.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:54 AM   #184
fred111

Jim, how are you doing? It has been quite a while. I haven't thought about those days for a while now. I am long retired and living in VA and NC.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:59 AM   #185
David Kirschbaum
Non-Member

David Kirschbaum, Co A 8th SFG '66-'69. My first SF assignment after Tng Gp, right to an A-Team, tasked to support JOTC where I worked for the next year and a half. Later team sgt Murley J. Maynard. I was there when our new company SGM came rolling in on a little Honda motorcycle, had ridden it from Fort Bragg down the Inter American Highway! I rode a big Norton 750 Atlas most of my time down there, had my beloved little '61 Mercedes 190b sedan too.

Good times and learned a lot at JOTC, best buddy Mousseau (who I think got KIA with SOG in '68 or so). Commonly on the cliffs at river crossing, rapelling, etc. Lots of boat duty since I had a knack with those 25HP Johnsons :-) Got blown up by a malfunctioning artillery simulator diring a Night Ops briefing (in front of a full class of Marines no less!), had a month's quarters for that from the burns and all. Got to catch up on my snook fishing at the Chagres spillway anyway :-)

After JOTC, some A-team time (interesting split team training with Guatemalan Marines during a big joint exercise; an ORT to Puerto Rico where we were briefed and prepped for an insertion in Cuba!)). Then SD as S3 Plans NCO at Group, very interesting.

Finally volunteered for Vietnam (was afraid the war was passing me by!), got assigned directly to SOA (CCC) in Jan '69. Yeah, my first tour to Vietnam and I get that, so don't believe they didn't assign first-timers there. I asked the group admin NCO what the helll was SOA (CCC); he didn't want to say (although he knew), exchanged glances with another Old Hand, and just said "Well, you should find it interesting."

No question, all the jungle time in Panama, Guatemala, PR, really helped during that SOG Recon assignment. I was perfectly at home in the jungle, just had those pesky NVA to worry about.

I often think of that place, Gulick, Sherman, Colon, riding the Norton across the isthmus, etc. I look at pictures of the old places now, some of them abandoned and derelict, some converted to civilian use, etc., and don't think I'd want to go back. Some memories are better than a revisit, ne?

8th Sfg Co E
Old 11-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #186
Mariahfgib
Non-Member

Default 8th Sfg Co E

My dad, James Fulton was in this group. Just curious if anyone was in Co E from the 8t. I believe he was in from 68-70.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #187
Mariahfgib
Non-Member

Did anyone know my dad from the 8th Company E? James or “Allie” Fulton.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #188
Jim Hutcheson
Non-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred111 View Post
Jim, how are you doing? It has been quite a while. I haven't thought about those days for a while now. I am long retired and living in VA and NC.
Hello Fred,
Am I responding to the half of the Fred & Marilyn duo? If so, greeting from Montana. I have lived in Missoula since 84 and love the country. The fishing, hiking and general condition of the great outdoors keep me active. I do get back to VA on occasion to visit relatives, so let me know where you are located. Sorry for the late reply.
Jim

Old 03-29-2019, 01:48 PM   #189
Jim Hutcheson
Non-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred111 View Post

Fred, Are you the half of the Fred and Marilyn duo? Sorry for the much delayed reply. Montana is treating me well. I have enjoyed the great outdoors life here in Missoula since 84. I will try to check in to the site more often.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:36 AM   #190
fred111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hutcheson View Post
Fred, Are you the half of the Fred and Marilyn duo? Sorry for the much delayed reply. Montana is treating me well. I have enjoyed the great outdoors life here in Missoula since 84. I will try to check in to the site more often.
Yes that is me. Good to hear from you again. We live in Gloucester Point, VA (just across the York River from the Yorktown Battlefield) and Kill Devil Hills, NC (on the Outer Banks). I will send you a PM with my cell phone number.